Studies have shown that literacy standards can be significantly improved when peer-peer learning is implemented in schools.
Some ideas for peer involvement in literacy :
- Ensure peer literacy groupings are well matched at similar levels, choose groups carefully based on literacy data and teacher knowledge of group interactions.
- Add a competitive aspect to the literacy peer groups such as a star chart, this works particularly well with improving boy’s literacy.
- Encourage peer – peer discussion sessions which allow children to discuss the books they have been reading.
- Encourage shared planning and peer group involvement of literacy projects.
- Allow pupil to comment on each other’s written work and suggest improvements.